Thursday, 22 November 2007

The Visitor

As my mother was walking to the kitchen, I heard her whistling. When she returned to the living room she asked me if I had whistled.

"No, I didn't whistle, I thought it was you," I said.

"No, it wasn't. I heard you whistle twice and I thought it was you being funny and trying to attract my attention."

"It wasn't me."

"That's strange!"

"OK, who do we both know that we can't "see" who likes to whistle?" I said.

"My brother used to like whistling," mum said.

"Oh yeah, I remember now. Come to think of it, it sounded just like his whistle. It must be him then. Besides, he's always said that when he's "gone" he will always be around to look after us."

"Yes, he did."

"Funnily enough, I heard something tapping on the wall the other night and couldn't work out what it was. Maybe it was uncle trying to get our attention."

"Well, if it's you, AFC, thank you for being here," mum said. "I hope you're happy wherever you are."

"I'm sure he is."

A few days ago I felt my uncle's presence and he "spoke" to me. He told me how proud he was of me and how much he loved all of us. I passed on the message to my mother. Perhaps his whistle was his way of giving us a tangible evidence of his presence.

Later mum brought to my attention that the date was the 22nd November. My uncle passed away three years ago on 22nd October.

I never could buy into the idea of people crossing over to the spirit world. As I see it, the spirit world is right here and now. I look forward to and expect lots more "visits" from friends and loved ones from the "other side."

Enocia

Related articles: Beyond the Veil; Always at One; Love is Forever; More Things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio; Being Here Now; How Can I Grieve Over an Illusion?