Monday, 26 November 2007

Does the Past Matter?

In the Reality TV series, America's Next Top Model, the girls are competing for the prize of a modelling contract at a top agency and $100,000. In the episode I watched yesterday, the girls were making a commercial. One girl said a car accident she was involved in five years ago had affected her short-term memory. Because of that experience, she kept forgetting her lines. They had to do many takes and she was very upset about this.

The host, Tyra Banks, told the girl that while all the judges sympathise with what happened to her, she has to realise that she's beautiful on the outside and the inside now. Tyra said that if she intends to work in the modelling industry, she's going to have to find a way to deal with her problem.

I agreed with Tyra. It's very easy to get stuck in your stories and believe because such and such happened, you can't move on. The way I see it, a memory is only important if it has something to reveal to me about myself. Otherwise, it's meaningless.

I've also been involved in an accident but it's only meaningful because I was able to experience myself as omnipresent Love. That's the only reason why I've recorded the experience on my blog.

I had a long conversation the other day with my older brother. He has a very strong belief about how important it is to know who you are - your family heritage, race and culture - in order to understand who you are now. He asked me if I had any intention of visiting Sierra Leone (where we lived as kids) in the near future. I said I couldn't see it. As far as I'm concerned, I've lived there and had the experience and got some valuable insights. I don't feel the need to connect in any way. I also told him I feel no need to retrace my roots nor do I affiliate myself with a group(s) purely because of race, gender and culture. I'm more interested in making connections based on Love. I told him that if that's what he's drawn to do then he should do it, but that's not me.

As I see it, life is about experiencing love in every moment. I don't mind being stuck in the "past" if that memory is about experiencing love. I don't mind reliving experiences that give me endless joy. If the memory has nothing to reveal about my true self, it is meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

The past doesn't matter unless it does.

Enocia

Related articles: Losing a Battle But Winning the War; Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is; Being the Presence; The Causeless Cause; Walking Joy; Masters of Time; Love Dissolves Grudges; Accident or Omnipresence at Work?